Facts about John Knox:
- He remarried a woman named Margaret Stewart (age 17), who was 33 years younger than Knox.
- 1/5 of his writings were about predestination.
- John Calvin was his primary mentor.
- Knox wrote none of his sermons down (only two sermons survived).
- He was his spiritual father’s bodyguard and carried a broadsword.
- His son-in-law was in prison for insubordination to the throne. The king asked Elizabeth (Knox’s daughter) to persuade her husband to submit to his authority. Her response: “Please your Majesty, I’d rather have his head here.”
- Knox is one of the four reformers on the wall of Geneva. The words next to the Scottish reformer, “One man with God is always in the majority.”